Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pearl and her paws

Pearl - as many of you know by now - is a hunter of squirrels. There are many days I will look out the window in the kitchen and see her running back and forth from the two large trees we have in our back yard trying to catch a squirrel. She will cry with the most pitiful winy barking sounds (basically saying "please come down from the tree so I can eat you!) while her tail wags for all it's worth. Her face show nothing but joy while she hunts. It is her drug, her addiction, her purpose in life to catch squirrels.

Well, it appears she tangled with one squirrel that somehow caused her to damage a nail on each of her front paws. She was not thrilled after the incident.

I take her to the vet Wednesday afternoon to get her looked at and they tell me the nails need to come off for they have been partly pulled off the quicks. They take her to the surgery area while I wait and when they return Pearl now has two bandaged front paws. Now I have a real unhappy dog. Two numb front paws from anesthesia and they are bandaged to boot. We have all seen the clip where someone puts bags on a cat's feet and they hate it. Just keep that mental image in your head and you can guess how Pearl feels about it.

When I get Pearl home I now have to tend to her so that she doesn't try to remove the bandages as well as feed and take her out to relieve herself as needed. I dabbed some no-bite spray on the bandages to keep her from chewing them off and that is working well.

The veterinarian tells me the bandages can come off by the weekend.  I can tell she is bored already and it is only Thursday morning.

No comments: