Monday, April 16, 2007

Surgery day #1

Sunday morning: Susan and I drive up to Gettysburg to have lunch with Bob and Janice. It was great seeing them again. The ride for Susan was difficult, but she was in good spirits. She really wanted to see them before we went to Baltimore. The weather was horrible, and we once again ran into traffic issues on 95. We didn't get past Kings Dominion before we see a sign that said there was a wreck around exit 104 blocking all lanes. We turned around in the medium strip, got on US 1, and went around. Other than that, the roads were manageable.

We arrived in Baltimore around 4 and checked into the hotel. Susan's father Steve had booked us in the Raddison. Steve and his wife Sally were up for the weekend seeing relatives. It was a real treat having them around, and I know it made Susan more at ease.

Susan and I unwind for a bit after the long road trip, and then we went to dinner in the hotel restaurant with Sally and Steve. I think the hostess looked at me funny when I replied to her question of were we like to be seated. I said “It needs to have very soft seats.” Nice place. I would definitely stay there again.


Monday morning: 10 45 am: We arrive to the hospital at 6 am. We are given a pager to let us know when to call us. We end up waiting in the waiting room for a hour before Susan is called back to be prepped. I end up waiting for another hour before I'm paged. They tell me I can go back to sit with her before she goes in. I get to go in only for a minute, then they take Susan to surgery. She is somewhat loopy from the drugs they gave given her, but she is smiling. That smile Susan has will stop me in my tracks every time.

After they take her to surgery I run to get some breakfast in the cafeteria. After words, I head back to the hotel to shower and pack up. Steve helps me with the luggage, and then they follow me over to the hospital. When we get to the hospital, I'm informed Susan just came out of surgery and is in recovery. So far, everything is going well. The waiting room is packed with people. I'm glad Sally and Steve are here.

No comments: