Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday - blood transfusion

This morning Dr. Spencer came in to see Susan. He reported to us Susan's hematocrit was down to 25. What that means is we had a choice to make. We could do nothing, and eventually it wold go back up. If it didn't go back up by tomorrow, Susan would be kept a extra day. If that happens, we would lose the suite on the 5th floor. Seeing how the odds are like 1 in 2,000,000 something would go wrong with the transfusion, it was a no brainer to go ahead with it.

Funny thing - Dr. Spencer needed to wake me up. I'm wearing eye shades, ear plugs, and my c-pap mask. I've been told it is the "Darth Vader" look. When I'm just getting to go to sleep, it sounds like Vader in my head.

The blood transfusion takes about 4 hours, give or take. Because she will be hooked up to a I.V. , P.T. will be done in the hospital room instead of the P.T. room. I spoke to Trish about it, and she said she would just get Susan from the bed to the recliner. I will be working with Susan while she is in bed this morning on moving her legs to help them from getting stiff.

Yesterday afternoon Clair stopped by for a visit. She gave Susan a present - a pair of hand made earrings. I think they look wonderful.


Around dinner time Michelle brought us food from Millers cafe, (love that sandwich!). She is also running a load of laundry for us. If I haven't said it enough, I will say it again. Thank you Michelle! You are the best!

Susan's parents got here around 4:30. They are staying the night, and coming back in the morning.

more later

No comments: