Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wednesday - a day in the recovery

First thing this morning Dana (Resident for Dr. Mont) comes in to remove the drainage tube. Susan was very happy to be rid of the thing. The drainage tube was hooked to a 1000cc bottle, that was only 1/3 full. Dana said some people will have 5 bottles over the course of the process of hip replacement. Susan only had one bottle, and only 1/3 full at that.

After Dana left, Susan got out of bed and washed up, put on her own clean clothes, and got all beautiful. (which takes very little doing on her part I might add). She put on a nice light green gown she picked up last week. While Susan was doing this, I went to make a couple of phone calls. My mother has no Internet access, so I wanted to call her to let her know how Susan is doing. I had the idea of just reading the blog to her, so that I wouldn't miss any details. Mom said she was going to be picked up by friends to go to Natural Bridge, and she would call me this evening. I called Lauren, (my good friend from work) to say hey. In the conversation, Lauren suggested how I could persuade Susan into letting me take some pictures. I knew Susan didn't want her picture taken, but....you know me.


Note: I was able to get a few pictures later during the day, but I do not have a way currently of getting them off my camera. Ron is supposed to stop by this evening, and hopefully he will have a SD stick for me so I can pull off the pictures.

A little later Robert (O.T.) came in the room. His goal for Susan was for her to get up from the recliner, and get to the bathroom using the walker. Once this was done, she was to get back to the recliner outside the bathroom. I'm happy to report Susan accomplished the goal.


Today Susan gets to go to the PT room for therapy. Robert had her put in the the recliner on purpose. The recliner is on wheels, so it was a simple matter of rolling Susan down the hall to the PT room. The PT room has a large mat type bed that can be raised or lowered, and can handle 2 people. PT is going well. From what Kate (P.T.) tells us, Susan is right where she needs to be. Susan is doing several exercises, from moving ankles to raising her leg. Some things are quite painful to do, so she is doing things slowly and with assistance from either Kate or myself. One thing I really like is the stools they use. They are on wheels, so they can move around very easily. (I could use one for my shop at home)

After P.T., Kate and I rolled Susan back to the room so she could eat lunch and rest. While resting, a social worker named Mary came in to discuss Thursday. Tomorrow we find out where we go. Depending on insurance, Susan will either be sent upstairs to acute PT, or sent off site for sub-acute PT. The difference between them is Acute is 3 hours a day, and sub is 1 ½ hours a day. We are hoping to be here, for it will be much less disruptive. I figured out we probably will not be staying in the Hackerman - Patz House . I'm waiting until tomorrow to see where we will be before making any adjustments.


Later, Kate came back to get Susan for the second PT session. Same drill as the first session, but this time I switched the recliner with a real good one from another room. (No one was in the room at the time, and Pat (Susan's Nurse) helped me with the switch.


I can tell you after all this, my wife is very tired. Now she is sleeping, and soon Ron will be here. More to come...


-m

No comments: